Mighty Jets 1-0 Kogi United: Yaro’s strike hands Confluence Boys fourth defeat in a row

Kabiru Yaro’s controversial 41st-minute goal from the spot helped Mighty Jets forced Kogi United out of Jos empty handed with another defeat in the Week Eight encounter on Wednesday.

Match captain for Kogi United Musa Stephen was adjudged to have blocked a cross into United’s box with his hand as claimed by assistant referee Rasheed Ismaila from Kwara who alerted his Centre Referee Kolawole Emmanuel (Kwara).

Yaro converted the spot kick as he dispatched the ball to the bottom left corner.

The opening half an hour of the game was lively as both sides created scoring chances but couldn’t find a way through with calculative defense.

Just as the game was heading to a stalemate at half-time, Jets attacked from right flank through Ahuda Williams. The forward tried a cross into United’s box but was blocked by Stephen which made Detan make an easy catch.

But the Centre Referee had to heed to his assistant who signaled, into the amazement of the players for a foul by Stephen that results in the lone goal that decided the game.

The second half was similar to the previous with United throwing all they’ve got on set.

United almost level up from defensive lapses of their hosts when Charles Okafor’s back pass to his keeper almost rolled in but was lucky it didn’t.

But for timely save by Jets’ keeper, Abayomi Olorunda, United could have level up in the 54th minutes when he caught John Jerome’s free kick. That was followed by another effort from Adegbayo Ayuba that hit wide.

There were more chances created by United from open play and in set pieces but Olorunda stood between them and the needed equalizer with his timely saves.

With just three minutes to end the game, the bulky keeper guessed right to parry Musa Jatau’s shot wide.

Head Coach of the Confluence State side, Tunde Abdulrahman who was satisfied with his side’s performance rued the referees’ spot kick that gave Jets the win.

He said the fight to get back underway would continue as he promised an improved performance cum victory in their next game.

“It’s good game which we could have won or get at least a draw, but that penalty gave them (Mighty Jets) an edge, except that penalty, I’m ok with officiating, I hope we get such officiating in subsequent games.

“The team played better than our previous matches today, I’m impressed with their response in the second half, we will build on this and win our next game and continue to look for results on the road,” he said.

Acting Technical Adviser of Mighty Jets, Adeyemi Dairo who admitted that his side were lucky with the win noted that Kogi United gave them a tough game and exposed their lapses which they must work on early.

“It’s tough game, we as happy we won, the boys did well to hold on even when they looked tired, yes, I think we were lucky to win and they were lucky too because we could have scored more.

“They (Kogi United) really open us up and created chances which almost cost us, they’ve shown us where to make an adjustment and improve the team and we will have to do that quick,” Dairo said.

Kogi United will next host Sokoto United in Lokoja on Saturday while Mighty Jets travel to Ilorin to take on Kwara United on the same day.