Executive Council of the Kogi State chapter of Sports Writers Association of Nigeria under the leadership of Paul Omale met in an emergency meeting on Monday 12th January, 2015 at the NUJ Press Centre and resolved as follows:
1. The Executive members express their appreciation for His Excellency, Captain Idris Wada’s interest, encouragement and unrivalled support for sports development and the concomitant repositioning of sports administration in the state.
2. The SWAN Executive also commended the commitment of the Youth and Sports Ministry under Honourable Commissioner Attah Sule Ikani, management of Kogi United and Confluence Queens under the leadership of Mallam Abdul Adama and Mallam Yahaya Adama led Kogi FA, all sport federations and stakeholders in the state for the excellent performance of the state clubs in the last season.
3. The council also resolved to work in synergy and partnership with sports managers and sports-related outfits for promotion of sporting activities and urged all media houses to accord reasonable attention
to coverage of grassroots sports.
4. The Council also observed that a lot of sporting activities were initiated and executed under the current administration without proper recourse to SWAN and therefore called for effective collaboration with the association for efficient coverage and publicity as well as promotion of sports in the state.
5. The body also resolved to embark on a massive membership drive and called on interested working journalists in the state to register with the secretariat as from Wednesday 21st January, 2015 and to attend a general meeting scheduled for same day at the NUJ Press Centre, Lokoja.
6. As part of measures to ensure a free, fair and credible election into the executive board of Kogi State Football Association, SWAN has resolved to play an unprecedented role by organising a media debate to avail contesting chairmanship candidates a platform to showcase their visions and programmes to move football forward in the state.
The association urged the FA secretariat to ensure an enabling ground for the right candidate to emerge.
7. The SWAN executive thanked all sports’ stakeholders in the state for standing by the body during its trying period and solicited their continued support and cooperation.
The communique was signed by Joe Adama Secretary and Samuel Ahmadu PRO respectively.