News Details

Sports

Yohanna Zadok

AIK held ‘open conversation’ with Zadok Yohanna over Super Eagles withdrawal

AIK recruitment manager Miika Takkula has revealed details of the club’s discussions with Nigerian youngster Zadok Yohanna after the winger was withdrawn from the Super Eagles squad for the upcoming Unity Cup in London.

Yohanna’s inclusion in Nigeria’s squad for the four-nation tournament came as a surprise to many, with the 18-year-old earning recognition following his impressive performances in Sweden this season.

The highly-rated forward had been named in Éric Chelle’s provisional squad for the competition at The Valley, but will now miss out after suffering a thigh injury during AIK’s 4-2 defeat to Djurgårdens IF on May 10.

The injury has ruled Yohanna out for the remainder of the Swedish spring campaign, including fixtures against Hammarby IF and IK Sirius before the mid-season break.

Speaking on the club’s decision not to release the player to Nigeria, Takkula said AIK maintained transparent communication with the youngster throughout the process.

“It was a good and open conversation. The player was of course very happy about the invitation, but he understood the situation and did not want to take any risks,” Takkula told Fotbollskanalen.

“He will complete the rehabilitation as planned. That’s how it was. The rehab has been positive and yesterday he did some individual work on the pitch, which is encouraging.”

Before the injury setback, Yohanna had enjoyed a breakthrough campaign in the Swedish Allsvenskan, contributing three goals and two assists in seven league appearances while emerging as one of AIK’s standout young talents.

His performances have also reportedly attracted interest from several European clubs, with scouts continuing to monitor his rapid development.